Background removal feature

Hi guys!
Is there any background removal feature for selfie filters on 8th Wall? Or would we need to use a 3rd party library to do that?

Thanks!

8th Wall provides face tracking, and we use a 3D model of a head attached to the face to occlude the face. We don’t provide person/background segmentation at this time. If you’d like to experiment with implementing your own ML model to handle person/background segmentation, a good starting point would be our custom camera pipeline module sample project.

You might also consider creative workarounds, such as using a transparent gradient texture (i.e. opaque at the top of the screen > transparent on the bottom of the screen) or using something like a particle effect to make the lack of segmentation less noticeable, such as in this experience: L.A. Dodgers - World Series Selfie | Aircards | 8th Wall.

1 Like

Thanks Evan!
My project is using A-Frame, do you have an example of camera pipeline module for A-Frame?

Cheers!

We don’t have a full-fledged example of integrating a third party ML model into an A-Frame project, but you can add custom camera pipeline modules via an A-Frame component.

For example:

const myComponent = {
  init() {
    const onxrloaded = () => {
      window.XR8.addCameraPipelineModule({
        name: 'myCameraPipelineModule',
        onUpdate: () => {
          console.log('update')
        },
      })
    }
    window.XR8 ? onxrloaded() : window.addEventListener('xrloaded', onxrloaded)
  }
}

AFRAME.registerComponent('my-component', myComponent)
1 Like