Breakpoints and debug mode for cloud editor

Hi! as I embarked in the journey of crafting my most complex AR experience, I’ve ever made with 8thtwall, I gained some insights I wanted to share.

When crafting parts of an AR Storytelling, one of the challenges I faced were debug the code. In work as a developer, I often use Visual Studio, and visual studio comes with tools that help debug the software that without it it’s pretty much impossible solve bugs.

In the current state of the cloud editor, I can do amazing things and craft simple experiences, but when attempting to create the impossible, I found that I would love to have breakpoints in the AR, experience I can control with the cloud editor.

the current way I have to debug the code is to put console.log(“1”) for each function or cloud I want to debug.

So, when attempting to find the flow and what runs first or if the app is crashing at certain points, I just put 1 console log and run the app, which is the only and current way have to debug my experiences.

As we move toward 2025, it would be super nice to have breakpoints and if is withing the possible have developers’ tools. to debug the experiences made with aframe and threejs built in.

I remember there where code in some of the vps challenges that help debug the experience pretty smooth, like it was super simple to know the state of things.

Debugging tools is a must for any developer, I feel that with the time capsule challenge. when I hit 2000 lines of code it was pretty much impossible to debug my code so I had to break all the code into modules that made easy the portability of the code to isolated environments where to test each feature and then run integration test, building incrementally, adding modules over and over.

As you see its not ideal but is my current flow of developing complex AR experiences without the use of breakpoints.

Thinking it back, if I had breakpoints I would have not to test on my device or refresh so many times. This would have made me develop faster!

This is all the feedback,
thank you very very much, and kudos to the whole team!

Thanks for the detailed feedback @Diego_Aguirre!

2 Likes

Hiya @Diego_Aguirre

If you roll over the QR Code and open your project in a new tab, you can have breakpoints etc for more advanced debugging - within the simulator, they currently don’t work

1 Like