Detected surface indoors is not correct

We are having an issue where for example our models look good in the simulator (on the ground) using outdoor spaces but the models are placed in the middle of the room vertically when an indoor space is used. We get this same issue on a real device where the detected surface (as shown in the debug) is at about half way up the room vertically. What setting are we missing? Our camera has a ‘Y’ value of 2.

Can you please share a photo?

Hi I an posting two images from the simulator that show the same problem we are having on a real device.

Hi Glenn,

8th Wall detects the largest horizontal surface in the scene and places your virtual content accordingly. On the left you have a large open space and your 3D models are placed on the surface. On the right you are inside and have a smaller area. The 3D models are technically being “placed” in the correct location but the horizontal surface is essentially “extending” past the walls in the simulator which gives the illusion that they are floating. But in reality, a couple units past the wall, the models are placed correctly on the ground. 8th Wall doesn’t have any virtical surface detection, so all we detect is a large horizontal surface.

You can test this with our manipulate project here:

Where you can open this project in a small room and the sand castly will be placed on the ground, however, when you drag it past the room horizontal surface and into a wall it will give the illusion that it is floating when actually it is still aligned with the “horizontal” surface that 8th Wall is detecting.

Hi thank you for the reply. On the inside scene, the largest and only visible horizontal surface is the floor and it does not appear that the system is detecting that correctly to me. I am thinking it may be due to the size of the model we are using possibly? When looking at other scenes using models that do not extend off the top of the screen, the system seems to do a somewhat better job of figuring out where the floor is located. The only work around I have found for our tall models is to artificially increase the Y value on the camera but I am concerned on how that would affect the model placement when outside.

Hi @Glenn_Jones again, the detected surface is correct in both cases (there just is an illusion of floating in the second photo because the model is clipping through the wall). There is no need to dynamically change your models y position.

Just make sure the bottom of your 3D model is level with y=0 and the experience will work correctly in both environments.