World tracking issues

Hi,

When I create world tracking applications, Where I for example place a model on the ground,
It is not stable. I see lots of cool movies from 8thwall where it is super crisp and steady. But when I try it. And I move my phone the objects jump. Sometime they even get scalled down to super tiny.

Even if I use this place a cactus on the floor example. It is just not steady.
What are things to make this crisp and steady as in the demo’s of 8thWall? Or are those demo’s apps instead of web based AR?

Kind regardes.

The quality of world tracking can vary depending on a number of factors, such as the make and model of your device, the browser you’re using, and lighting conditions.

8th Wall’s demos are web-based AR experiences, so what you’re aiming for is definitely achievable on the web. If you continue to experience significant issues, it could be worth testing on multiple devices and browsers to better understand the variability.

1 Like

Hi,

I understand that not every device is as good as another one. At this moment we use a iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE, Older Motorola G8 and Samsung A series phones to test. They all have those issues. When moving around the example project (where you place cactus plants on the floor) you can see the effect.

What tricks does 8th wall do to solve this, or make it better? + the thing about web AR is that it should work on lots of devices well. Because my customers expect their customers to have a flawless experience. I can’t promise that if they need to use a specific phone with a specific browser to have a good experience.

Kind regards.

It depends on quite a number of things, but the first thing I would take a look at is the models you’re using in your scene. The fidelity of the model plays a big role in how well the experience performs. On the web, 3D optimizations are crucial to avoid poor performance and issues like lag or jittering. You’ll want to make sure your models are lightweight, with a reasonable poly count, and that you’re using appropriate texture sizes to prevent bottlenecks in rendering. Reducing unnecessary complexity can go a long way in ensuring a crisp and stable AR experience.

You can use gltf.report to analyze your models and pinpoint any potential issues. When optimizing models for WebAR, it’s important to keep the poly count low, ideally under 10k, since high-poly models can cause performance problems like jittering or lag. Another crucial factor is texture size—large textures, such as 2048x2048 or higher, will lead to memory strain and stuttering. A good approach is to use a single 1024x1024 texture for albedo and smaller textures (around 512x512) for things like normal and roughness maps.

File size also plays a big role in stability; the smaller the model files, the faster they load, contributing to better performance. Compressing glTF or GLB models and applying Draco compression can be helpful in reducing file size. If you’re using animations, make sure they’re lightweight, as complex animations can slow things down, especially when multiple objects are involved.

I am experiencing very similar issues on my end. I have tested several different environments and have been mostly using an iPhone 14 Pro, which should not have as much trouble tracking the environment as it has. The world position, orientation, and scale keep shifting with the slightest movements and I cannot figure out why…

1 Like

Exactly… I only use GLB and Draco is applied.
I even used build in A-Frame Spheres te test. Same issue.

1 Like

This could be a bigger issue that needs forwarding to the engineering team. Would you mind sharing a link so I can test it on different devices?

Hi,

just try this.
it is actualty the car with absolute scale. Where I removed all the code. and just add a sphere at position 0 0 0.
Just start. and try to move arround a bit. The sphere will not stay in place.
Imagine this that we have a object instead of the sphere where you can press handles to use that object. But it jumps away etc…

Kind regards.

I just tested this on my phone and didn’t notice any drifting. Could you provide more details, such as:

• The device you’re using
  • The browser you’re using
  • A video of the issue, if possible

This will help us understand the problem better.