About VPS private scan

I want to make more use of VPS features and promote them. I heard that using privately scanned items for products is inappropriate. Why is that? Also, is there a way to utilize such quality in private scans?

β€œTest” Locations are only accessible to your Workspace by scanning the location using Niantic’s Wayfarer app. Test Locations are intended for use during development and may not be included in a published project.

VPS waypsot Locations will only be approved and made publicly available if they meet the following criteria:

• Are a permanent physical, tangible, and identifiable place or object, or object that placemarks an area.
  • Are safe and publicly accessible by pedestrians (indoor or outdoor).
  • Contain accurate information in the title, description, and photo.

Locations perform better on VPS, when they also meet the following criteria:

• Have a clear focal point that fits within a 10m diameter sphere.
  • Have features that are distinct and consistent in appearance. (Ex. A sandy beach, or a crowded patio space with moveable furniture will not work well.)
  • Have minimal features that are reflective or transparent.

The scale of VPS locations should be larger than 1-2m in size that are rich in feature points. If you use a product or a moveable object and not a permanent structure or VPS will not be able to track this correctly as it uses GPS and has not been tested for smaller movable objects.

Please reference our documentaiton here for more informaiton.

Thank you. I understand a bit more now. I have a slightly different question: there is already a scanned spot, but the mesh is quite rough and inaccurate. Is it possible to rescan or do something similar to improve the accuracy?

Is the issue related to the accuracy of VPS localization (i.e. object placement in AR), or is it related to the mesh itself (i.e. using the mesh as an occluder/shadow material and/or as a physics collider in the experience)?

1 Like

I apologize for the unclear English.
I am referring to the latter. For example, there is a famous humanoid statue, but it is almost indistinguishable as in the image.
If possible, I would like to increase the resolution of this mesh.

You can take another scan of the statue using a different app such as Scaniverse, align the high quality mesh with the low-quality one, and then bring that into your project.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 4 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.